Subject: Re: How to access Freesale UPM NAND device

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:57:10 -0500

Laxmikant Rashinkar wrote:
> I have a custom board running MPC8347 on Linux 2.6.27 with Uboot 1.1.4.
> I also have a NAND device (Micron MT29F2G08AACWP) connected to the LBC
> and controlled via UPM.
> 
> fsl_elbc_nand.ko, fsl_upm.ko are loaded.

fsl_elbc_nand is for FCM; you only need the latter.

> I'm wondering how to access the NAND device. Do I need mDOC? TrueFFS?

JFFS2 is typically used.

> I have grep'd for the functions declared in fsl_upm.c and fsl_lbc.c and 
> find that no other
> code path calls these functions. So it looks like the drivers are loaded 
> but no one calls into
> them.

The init function of the module registers a driver, providing function 
pointers that are called.  You access the device through /dev/mtd*.

-Scott