Subject: Re: Not probing devices on PowerPC MPC8247 and kernel 2.6.26

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:56:00 -0500

Chris Skepper wrote:
> Hi All,
> 
> I have an MPC8247 based board.  I can get the SMC1 console working, but 
> the other SCCx serial ports and the FCC1 ethernet doesn't work.
> 
> It appears that a part of the problem is that the probe methods are not 
> called.  The "match" table stuff all looks fine and the serial ports and 
> ethernet are defined in the .dts file. The module init function is 
> called, but the probe methods are not reached. It seems driver_register 
> gets called, so why doesn't something call probe?
> 
> Is there likely to be some problem with the bus setup?

Are you calling of_platform_bus_probe() from your platform code, and do 
the soc and cpm nodes match the bus list (I recommend using compatible = 
"simple-bus")?

-Scott