Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] fsl-dma: allow Freescale Elo DMA driver to be compiled as a module

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:16:44 -0500

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Scott Wood wrote:
> 
>>> I chose subsys_initcall() to increase the probability that fsldma is
>>> already present when DMA clients are loaded/initialized and register.
>> If there's no dependency, why does it matter whether fsldma is already 
>> present?
> 
> Re-read my explanation, please.

I read it just fine the first time.

> Technically, it doesn't *matter* in that
> nothing will break, but so what?  It's nicer if the DMA driver is already
> available when the client drivers load, so that they can use the DMA facilities
> right away.

It's not nicer to people reading the code and wondering why, or to 
people who use it as a module and execute less-well-tested code paths, 
and I doubt it's a significant addition to boot time to do things in the 
normal way.

I'm not particularly worried about the code going on strike because 
we're not being "nice" to it.

-Scott