Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: remove default=y from PMAC and CHRP Kconfigs

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:21:43 -0500

Matt Sealey wrote:
> You do realise it's entirely possible to build a kernel which supports 50
> different Freescale CPUs all in one?
> 
> Enabling CHRP, PMAC support *AND* non-CHRP platforms is possible in the 
> same
> binary. 

It's possible to build a kernel with 50 network drivers, too.  That 
doesn't mean they should all be "default y".  The kernel build takes 
long enough as is.

> If you really want to build a single-cpu single-board kernel, disable CHRP
> and PMAC for those board configs,

If you really want to build a targets-everything kernel, then turn on 
everything.  Go ahead and create a 6xx_defconfig that has support for 
everything enabled.  But don't cause huge heaps of stuff to be enabled 
for everyone that does a "make oldconfig" with a config file that 
predates change d8267c1a36864fc30a2ce01f4349a8f2931ae741.

-Scott