Subject: networking fails to activate

From: Pieter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:57:01 +0200

Hi

We have a powerpc (8548) based board. running eldk4.1. the board has
three ethernet ports using Gainfair ethernet controller v1.2.

If the board powers up with any network cable plugged in, that specific
network is accessible.
if the board powers up without network cables connected and a cable is
plugged in, the network does not become active.
The kernal makes a log entry stating that the phy is up when the cable
is plugged in - but the interface is not pingable
Running ifdown and ifup manually does not result in a pingable interface.
Neither does running /etc/init.d/network restart

can anyone help me pls.

-- 
Pieter Henning
VASTech

Tel: +27 (0)21 850 5921
Fax: +27 (0)86 503 8941
e-mail: [email-masked]