Subject: build failure on powerpc with current -git

From: "Chris Friesen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:32:59 -0600

The current -git fails to build on 64-bit powerpc (failure log below) . 
  Initially I tried using my older toolchain, when I first saw the 
problem I built a new toolchain with crosstool (gcc 4.1.2 and binutils 
2.16.1) and tried again but got the same problem.

2.6.27 doesn't show this problem.

Any ideas what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Chris

   LD      vmlinux.o
   MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: modpost: Found 4 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
   GEN     .version
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
/opt/crosstool/gcc-4.1.2-glibc-2.3.6/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld: 
BFD 2.16.1 internal error, aborting at 
/home/cfriesen/crosstool-0.43/build/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-4.1.2-glibc-2.3.6/binutils-2.16.1/bfd/elflink.c 
line 6419 in elf_link_output_extsym

/opt/crosstool/gcc-4.1.2-glibc-2.3.6/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld: 
Please report this bug.

make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2