Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] Add Alternative Log Buffer Support for printk Messages

From: Bill Gatliff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:19:14 -0600

Matt Sealey wrote:
> Yes, there's FirmWorks, CodeGen SmartFirmware, IBM SLOF and OpenBIOS..
> they're all linked from the OpenBIOS website (along with a bunch of the
> documentation from http://www.openfirmware.org in more-readable formats
> like PDF)
> 
> http://www.openbios.org/
> 
> 
> But here's the real question; why do you need an opensource
> implementation? Curiosity?

That, and I prefer Free *ware whenever that's an option.  :)

Nothing against the commercial alternatives, of course.  But I'm
already doing my own heavy lifting, because my platforms are all
full-custom with very limited production runs.  Since I'm into the
guts of all my code anyway, I'm not inclined to outsource a bootloader
development effort.

Just trying to figure out where the walls of this "sandbox" are.  I've
been aware of the concept of Open Firmware for a while, but haven't
really looked into it before now--- mostly because my impression until
now was that the available implementations were both closed-source,
and not supporting embedded, non-PPC targets like ARM.

b.g.
-- 
Bill Gatliff
[email-masked]