Subject: some (MPC8313) Freescale patches not in latest kernel

From: Norbert van Bolhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:00:56 +0100

I'm preparing the latest (2.6.28-rc7) linux kernel for an MPC8313 based project
that's about to start.

Things seems to work great with the base 2.6.28-rc7 kernel. On our MPC8313E-RDB
the kernel boots without problems, ethernet (with eTSEC2/eth1) works and even
eTSEC1/eth0 has a 1gbit link. Most other peripherals seems to work as well, I never
really tried them though.

However, the Freescale MPC8313 BSP (and http://www.bitshrine.org/gpp/) includes a few
patches which I believe I need and/or are useful, for instance:
linux-fsl-2.6.23-MPC8313ERDB-ETSEC27-errata-workaround.patch
linux-fsl-2.6.23-MPC8313ERDB-IEEE-1588.patch
linux-fsl-2.6.23-GIANFAR_PARAMETER_ADJUST.patch
linux-fsl-2.6.23-GIANFAR_SKB_BUFFER_RECYCLING_SUPPORT.patch
linux-fsl-2.6.23-GIANFAR_SKB_BUFFER_RECYCLING_SUPPORT-2.patch

These patches are not in the latest (2.6.28-rc7) linux kernel
nor in any of the powerpc devlopment trees
(e.g. git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulus/powerpc.git)
Of course users like me can simply check out the patches and apply them
if needed for the project.
Before I do that I would just like to understand why they're not in.
They're not MPC8313(-RDB) specific and they seem very useful to me.

Is it lack of time/importance ?