Subject: Re: Device Tree setup for 8272-based board

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:37:20 -0600

Daniel Ng wrote:
> Thanks for your helpful responses Scott and Ming Qian. Now, from reading the 
> docco can you please verify my understanding is correct?- 
> 
> First, I need a basic DTS file which will give me a basic Device Tree. The 
> cuboot*.c file takes care of adding other parameters to the Device Tree passed 
> from u-boot via the old bd_info struct. 
> 
> Is this correct? 

Yes.

> If so, would it be possible to do away with the DTS file 
> altogether?

How, other than by encoding all the information about the board in code 
rather than data, which would be a step backwards?

> On the other hand, would it be possible to do away with the 
> cuboot*.c file by providing a complete DTS file?

Yes, though that eliminates the ability to dynamically set certain 
parameters from the firmware.  Better is to use an up-to-date u-boot, 
and have u-boot fill in the dynamic fields (MAC address, clocks, command 
line, etc) directly.

-Scott