Subject: Re: powerpc/85xx: Add support for the "socrates" board (MPC8544)

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:36:53 +0200

Grant Likely wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Grant Likely wrote:
>>> I agree 100% with David's comments, and I have some additional ones below.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> +       soc8544@e0000000 {
>>>> +               #address-cells = <1>;
>>>> +               #size-cells = <1>;
>>>> +               device_type = "soc";
>>> Drop device_type here too.
>> Grrr, I just realized that removing the devices type "soc" has broken
>> fsl_get_sys_freq(). See:
>>
>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.29/arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_soc.c#L80
>>
>> We need a quick fix and we could take the occasion to establish a common
>> function for the MPC52xx as well, but it's not obvious to me how to find
>> the SOC node without the device type property.
> 
> SoC node should have a compatible property, just like everything else.
> 
> compatible = "fsl,mpc8544-immr";  (immr == Internally Memory Mapped Registers)
> 
> Many other boards already do this.

Yes, it does, but searching for the SOC node is not straight-forward
because there is no common compatibility string but many CPU-specific
compatibility strings, e.g. "fsl,mpc8560-immr", etc. Have I missed
something?

Unfortunately, other 85xx functions search for the device type "soc" as
well. Therefore I think we must keep the devices type "soc" for the time
being. Kumar?

Wolfgang.