Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] powerpc/85xx: Add P2020DS board support

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:38:23 -0500

Kumar Gala wrote:
> 
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
> 
>> Kumar Gala wrote:
>>> On Apr 22, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
>>>> Kumar Gala wrote:
>>>>>> If this has an elbc more recent than 1.0 (looks like it), we should
>>>>>> indicate that here.
>>>>> that might be the case, but I leave it to u-boot to do that.
>>>>
>>>> Why?  There's no p2020 with an older eLBC, and there's no block 
>>>> version register.
>>> But there might be a p2020 w/a newer eLBC version in the future.
>>
>> At which point we can add something to u-boot -- but magic SVR tables 
>> seem a step backward from the dts except where needed to avoid the 
>> creation of extra dts files.
> 
> I don't see the value of complicating u-boot

But complicating u-boot is just what you're suggesting.  Put it in the 
dts, and u-boot has *zero* code to deal with this unless we find 
ourselves wanting to share the dts with another board rev with a newer 
chip with a newer elbc.

> to have to parse and 
> "fixup" the compatible instead of just having to prepend to it.  
> Especially since I don't believe there is anything specific we care 
> about in the 1.2 version of elbc at this point.

If the new elbc is compatible with the current one, then you will still 
just be prepending.  If it is not, then it very likely isn't compatible 
with 1.0 either, so you'll have to remove fsl,elbc anyway.

What "we care about" at this point is irrelevant, given the PITA it 
would be to change the device trees (or u-boot) that are already in use 
once we do begin to care.

-Scott