Subject: Re: Enable Serial Management Controller (SMC) in MPC8265

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:19:44 -0500

Andres F Marquez wrote:
>      After struggling for several days with this issue we have finally
> taken a different approach to solve our problem. We wanted to interface
> our CPU (MPC8265) with a FPGA through a serial connection. Now, we are
> using a parallel interface through the data bus (defining a new memory
> region in uboot -an additional chip select).

That sounds much better.

>      We tried enabling SCC's and SMC's through the kernel configuration
> in ltib,

LTIB doesn't alter device trees AFAIK...  Unless you have more than two 
CPM serial nodes, you won't get more than ttyCPM0 and ttyCPM1.

> but we were always getting the same tty devices device under
> "/dev". No matter how many SCC's or SMC's we enable we were always
> getting only /dev/ttyCPM0 and /dev/ttyCPM1. 

Do you have a static /dev, or are you running mdev or udev?  If the 
latter, then any changes in the kernel or device tree are not going to 
automatically show up in /dev.

-Scott