Subject: ethernet phy attached to wrong driver

From: Stefan Strobl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:08:53 +0200

Hi

I'm having trouble with my Ethernet device on a TQM5200 based board with
LXT971 Phy. I'm running U-Boot 2009.03 and a Kernel 2.6.30.

When doing a ping under U-Boot before booting into Linux, Ethernet works
fine in Linux also. Dmesg reads:
[  262.369444] net eth0: Using PHY at MDIO address 0
[  263.265903] net eth0: attached phy 0 to driver LXT971

But if I start Linux without prior use of the fec under U-Boot, Ethernet
is not working in Linux. The wrong drivers seems to be attached to the
phy. Dmesg reads:
[    2.068285] net eth0: Using PHY at MDIO address 0
[    2.964774] net eth0: attached phy 0 to driver Generic PHY
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
Is there a bootarg to tell linux which driver to use? Any ideas what I'm
doing wrong?

Regards
Stefan.