Subject: Re: powerpc/405ex: Support cuImage for PPC405EX

From: "tiejun.chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:45:13 +0800

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:28:02AM +0800, Tiejun Chen wrote:
>> Summary: powerpc/405ex: Support cuImage for PPC405EX
>> Reviewers: Benjmain and linux-ppc
>> ----------------------------------------------------
>> These patch series are used to support cuImage on the kilauea board based on PPC405ex.
>>
>> Tested on the amcc kilauea board:
> 
> Hm.  The U-Boot version that ships on the AMCC Kilauea board is FDT aware, so
> cuImage shouldn't be needed at all.  I'm slightly confused why we need this.

That the newer u-boot can aware extra on Kilauea is really as you said. But I
think I/we need to consider some other requirements for 405EX, such as only
using one image for convenient on embedded system, and u-boot don't pass dtb for
kernel since it will be isolated with one customer software layer.

And actually to support old U-boot compatibility is original *goal* of
implementing cuImage in kernel as we know. Right?

As Documentation/powerpc/bootwrapper.txt I think the kernel should support more
image variant to satisfy different requirement. Sometimes that is also beyond we
can discuss here.

> Are you using it for some other board derived from 405EX that doesn't have
> an FDT aware U-Boot?
> 

Yes, this is really another factor. Anyway thinks your comments.

Best Reards
Tiejun

> josh