Subject: Re: NAND partition names in DTS must be named "partition"?

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:36:25 -0500

Matthew L. Creech wrote:
> I upgraded from 2.6.29 to 2.6.31, and the kernel no longer recognized
> the partitions embedded within my DTS file.  I had to revert this
> change:
> 
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=4b08e149c0e02e97ec49c2a31d14a0d3a02f8074
> 
> in order to boot.  This code looks like it expects all partitions to
> be named "partition", otherwise they're just skipped.  Is there some
> peculiarity in my setup that makes this not work, or is it a general
> problem?  I see no major differences between my DTS file and the
> stardard "mpc8313erdb.dts".

It looks like mpc8313erdb.dts needs to be updated.

That, and Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/mtd-physmap.txt, which 
still says, "Each node's name represents the name of the corresponding
partition of the flash device," and has examples whose names are not 
"partition". :-P

-Scott