Subject: INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.

From: Breno Leitao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:01:36 -0200

Hi, 

I just put a upstream kernel(rc5) on a specific machine I have (Power5), and I got
the following error: 

INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.
init has generated signal 11 but has no handler for it
init used greatest stack depth: 6240 bytes left
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Call Trace:
[c0000001c6e7f920] [c000000000012588] .show_stack+0x6c/0x194 (unreliable)
[c0000001c6e7f9d0] [c000000000088bd4] .panic+0x74/0x1c0
[c0000001c6e7fa60] [c00000000008cbdc] .do_exit+0x43c/0x82c
[c0000001c6e7fb20] [c0000000000286f4] ._exception+0x1d4/0x204
[c0000001c6e7fcf0] [c0000000004e7dc8] .do_page_fault+0x4fc/0x634
[c0000001c6e7fe30] [c00000000000560c] handle_page_fault+0x20/0x74

Downgrading to rc2 shows the same result. Interesting enough, this is the only
machine that fails with the upstream kernel.

Have anyone seen anything similar ?

Thanks