Subject: Re: [PATCH] Reserve memory for kdump kernel within RMO region

From: Bernhard Walle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:39:09 +0100

M. Mohan Kumar schrieb:
> Hi,
> 
> As of now the kdump kernel base is fixed to be 32MB. The intention of 
> this patch is to modify that behaviour (for relocatable kernels)
> 
> * Regular kernel size may exceed 32MB, in this case we can't have kdump 
> kernelbase as 32MB.
> 
> * crashkernel=auto also assumes that kdump kernelbase as 32MB, and it 
> may also fail in reserving memory for kdump kernel.

I'm not opposed to remove the 32MB restriction, but I would like to make
the behaviour independent of CONFIG_RELOCATABLE like it's on x86:

 - Use 32M if one specifies xxx@32M
 - Use preferrably 32M, but fall back to another address if one
   specifies xxx or xxx@0M.

I don't see any problem with that. But it would make behaviour equal
accross platforms.

Regards,
Bernhard