Subject: Question on MPC52xx IRQ[123] pins

From: Bill Gatliff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:30:54 -0600

Guys:

I think I already know the answer to this, having read most of the
MPC52xx manual.  But I'll ask anyway, just to be sure I'm not missing
something obvious...  :)

Is it possible to treat the external IRQ[123] pins on the MPC52xx as
GPIO inputs?  And if so, how do I tweak my dts file and other code, if
necessary, to make that happen?

Reason I ask is, I'm trying to enhance
drivers/input/misc/rotary-encoder.c to use device trees, and one of the
encoder inputs is on IRQ2.  My strategy so far is to just provide an
of_probe() function that builds a rotary_encoder_platform_data structure
and then calls platform_device_register().  And that ain't working.  :)

First off, the rotary-encoder driver assumes that both of its inputs are
both known to gpiolib, so that they can do both gpio_to_irq() and
gpio_get_value() on them.  There isn't any existing code that I can find
that allows you to read the states of IRQ pins, be it under gpiolib or
otherwise.  And I think the reason for that is that there's no way to
actually read the states of those pins at all--- the hardware just
doesn't work that way.

Or am I missing something?

Second, if I get all this working then my rotary encoders won't be
platform devices--- they'll be openfirmware devices, which means I'll
have to do other work in the code as well.  That's a subtle point I
know, but rotary-encoder's assumption that all rotary encoder devices
are also platform devices is kind of like mixing policy with
implementation, it turns out.  Almost like trying to reuse a PCI driver
as a platform driver.  I didn't spot how important that was until I
started hacking on the code itself...

Thanks!

b.g.

-- 
Bill Gatliff
[email-masked]