Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/3] i2c-mpc: use __devinit[data] for initialization functions and data

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:14:18 +0100

Ben Dooks wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:44:10PM +0100, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
>> Ben Dooks wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:55:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
[snip]
>>> Any particular reason you decided to move this all about?
>> This was necessary to allow using __devinit[data] for the clock setup
>> functions and clock diviver arrays above which results in some notable
>> saving of memory space if the driver is statically linked into the
>> kernel. If the data is defined within "mpc_i2c_of_match", section
>> mismatches are reported.
>>
>>> Are you sure that __devinitdata is the right thing here, I've no idea
>>> if there is currently any hotplug type support for openfirmware or
>>> not.
>> I agree that __init[data] is more appropriate for this driver even if
>> many other non-hotplugable drivers use __devinit[data]. I will change that.
> 
> sorry, may have gotten confused by which type of __init is which, I
> think __devinit is the correct one here.

Why? It's not obvious to me how a i2c device might be hotpugged? Will
require v4 to fix it.

Thanks,

Wolfgang.