Subject: Re: cross-compiling Linux for PowerPC e200 core?

From: Németh Márton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:44:26 +0100

Grant Likely wrote:
> 2010/3/6 Németh Márton <[email-masked]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to cross-compile Linux 2.6.33 for Freescale MPC5554 [1][2]. This
>> microcontroller is based on the e200z6 core. I could build the cross-development
>> tools, but I could miss something because I get an error message when building
>> Linux for PowerPC e200 core. Here are the steps I used:
> 
> I doubt you'll have much luck with the mpc5554.  Linux doesn't include
> any support for the MPC5554, and I don't think anybody is working on
> it.  Any of the mpc5554 systems I've see don't have enough ram to run
> Linux well.

I'm ready to work a bit more than just compiling the kernel and run it on MPC5554.
On my target system there is a possibility to use external RAM connected to the
External Bus Interface, so I don't see this would be a problem in my case.

However, I have not much experience running Linux on PowerPC environment. Could
you suggest a PowerPC port which would be a good starting point to make support
for MPC5554?

As far as I could find out I'll need to create a device tree as documented in
the linux/Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt file.

Regards,

	Márton Németh