Subject: Re: mpc870 support in the powerpc arch?

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:39:55 -0500

On 06/25/2010 04:08 AM, Shawn Jin wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Scott Wood<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 02:41:29PM -0700, Shawn Jin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is mpc870 fully supported in the powerpc arch? I know it's an old
>>> processor but 8xx is still one of platforms in the powerpc arch. If
>>> it's not supported, how much effort will it be to resurrect mpc870 in
>>> the new arch considering we have substantial 8xx support?
>>
>> It should work, with appropriate board support -- MPC875 and MPC885 have
>> been used with arch/powerpc, and MPC870 is very similar (albeit with fewer
>> devices).
>
> Thanks Scott. I found your implementation in the kernel. I use
> adder875 as my base to port my board support. But I'm having a problem
> in the last step to create the cuImage. You may know what I did wrong.
> The error message is as follows.
>
>    WRAP    arch/powerpc/boot/cuImage.my870
> ppc_8xx-ld: arch/powerpc/boot/cuboot-my870.o: No such file: No such
> file or directory
> make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/boot/cuImage.my870] Error 1

You need to update the case statement arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper to 
recognize your board and select cuboot-8xx.o, as is done for adder875. 
Otherwise it defaults to looking for a file for your specific board.

-Scott