Subject: make 3.82 fails on powerpc defconfig update [was: Linux 2.6.35]

From: Thomas Backlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:51:11 +0300

Hi,
(please cc me as I'm not subscribed)

updating from make 3.81 to 3.82 gets me this:

[thomas@tmb linux-2.6.35]$ cp arch/powerpc/configs/ppc64_defconfig .config
[thomas@tmb linux-2.6.35]$ LC_ALL=C make oldconfig ARCH=powerpc
/mnt/work/2.6.35/linux-2.6.35/arch/powerpc/Makefile:183: *** mixed 
implicit and normal rules.  Stop.

The lines are:

182:
183: $(BOOT_TARGETS): vmlinux
184:         $(Q)$(MAKE) ARCH=ppc64 $(build)=$(boot) $(patsubst 
%,$(boot)/%,$@)
185:

BOOT_TARGETS are defined on line 166 as:
BOOT_TARGETS = zImage zImage.initrd uImage zImage% dtbImage% treeImage.% 
cuImage.% simpleImage.%

Now it's not a regression in the kernel as the same happends with the 
2.6.34 tree too.

(btw, the host I'm syncing the defconfig with is a x86_64 machine)

Now, I dont know if this is "intended breakage" by the make update, or 
if the Makefile needs to be updated....

Any ideas how to fix ?

--
Thomas