Subject: Re: Force FB off

From: Rui Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:51:46 +0000

Hi Jan,

     You could boot with "vga=normal i915.modeset=0". This will provide 
you with a 25x80 console.
     You can also use vga=ext for an somethingx50 console.

Regards,
Rui

On 15-12-2010 13:39, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Tuesday 2010-12-14 21:18, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:41 AM, Jan Engelhardt<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>
>>> booting with video=off nor video=i915:off has any effect on skipping
>>> FB. What is the correct option to stop FB from taking over my boot
>>> consoles?
>> For KMS its not fb taking over its the drm i915 driver, nomodeset will
>> stop it however X will no longer work since it relies on the kernel
>> driver.
> That would make sense. Furthermore I discovered that video=vesafb:off
> also has no effect, but here it is clear because the source code ignores
> the return value of fb_get_options, and so ignores any off command.
>
> The real strange thing is that video=offb:off on an Apple Xserve G5
> PPC64, while probably skipping OFFB initialization, still ends up in a
> 640x480 mode with a 8x16 font instead of retaining the PROM
> console/font.
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-fbdev" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>
>

-- 

Cumprimentos

*Rui Santos*

Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>