Subject: Re: hvc_console change results in corrupt oops output

From: Tabi Timur-B04825 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 13:51:09 +0000

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> That is a fun conclusion considering that hvc has been written for the
> pseries hypervisor which ... can return BUSY on writes :-)

Go read the original thread.  The problem is that tty writes and console=20
writes are treated the same by the hvc client driver.  If a client driver=20
detects that the hypervisor is busy, it has the choice of either spinning=20
or returning right away.  Spinning is not acceptable for tty output, so=20
all drivers return right away.  hvc then drops the unwritten characters.

According to Hendrik, this is still happening.

> We just need to fix HVC properly.

Where were you two years ago?  I complained about the problem, and even=20
posted a hackish "fix".  The response I got was tepid -- some=20
acknowledgement that the problem exists, but no real desire to fix it by=20
anyone.

So I had no choice but to abandon hvc.  And frankly, I still don't=20
understand why it exists.  Since then, I wrote a very nice console/tty=20
driver, and I have no plans to return to hvc even if the problem is fixed.

--=20
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale=