Subject: Re: [PATCH] drivers/misc: introduce Freescale Data Collection Manager driver

From: Tabi Timur-B04825 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 01:57:45 +0000

Mark Brown wrote:
> I'd expect that things like the _lowest, _highest and _average
> attributes which a number of drivers have are what you're looking for.

Yes, but then all I'm doing is presenting numbers that don't change to an=20
interface, simply on the basis that the numbers represent sensor values.

If I'm running a sensor application, I'm doing it to get real-time=20
monitoring of the sensors in my system.  The DCM on our boards is not=20
capable of real-time results.  So you're not actually "monitoring" the=20
hardware.  The data from the DCM is available only *after* you stop=20
running the background process.

> At the very least it seems obvious how you might extend the interface if
> some features you need are missing.  The subsystem has fairly extensive
> documentation in Documentation/hwmon.

I just don't see how it fits.  Yes, I could do it, but then I'd end up=20
with something that doesn't make any sense.  I would have to use a custom=20
interface to start monitoring and then another interface to stop it.  Then=
=20
I would query the results use the hwmon interface, but the results would=20
be static.  That just seems silly.

--=20
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale=