Subject: Re: kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: Avi Kivity <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:28:35 +0300

On 08/03/2011 05:04 AM, David Gibson wrote:
> I still don't understand the distinction you're making.  We're saying
> the group is "owned" by a given user or guest in the sense that no-one
> else may use anything in the group (including host drivers).  At that
> point none, some or all of the devices in the group may actually be
> used by the guest.
>
> You seem to be making a distinction between "owned by" and "assigned
> to" and "used by" and I really don't see what it is.
>

Alex (and I) think that we should work with device/function granularity, 
as is common with other archs, and that the group thing is just a 
constraint on which functions may be assigned where, while you think 
that we should work at group granularity, with 1-function groups for 
archs which don't have constraints.

Is this an accurate way of putting it?

-- 
error compiling committee.c: too many arguments to function