Subject: Re: kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: Avi Kivity <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:17:41 +0300

On 08/22/2011 04:15 PM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:06:07AM -0400, Avi Kivity wrote:
> >  On 08/22/2011 03:55 PM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
>
> >  >  Well, I don't think its really meaningless, but we need some way to
> >  >  communicate the information about device groups to userspace.
> >
> >  I mean the contents of the group descriptor.  There are enough 42s in
> >  the kernel, it's better if we can replace a synthetic number with
> >  something meaningful.
>
> If we only look at PCI than a Segment:Bus:Dev.Fn Number would be
> sufficient, of course. But the idea was to make it generic enough so
> that it works with !PCI too.
>

We could make it an arch defined string instead of a symlink.  So it 
doesn't return 42, rather something that can be used by the admin to 
figure out what the problem was.

-- 
error compiling committee.c: too many arguments to function