Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] mtd/nand : workaround for Freescale FCM to support large-page Nand chip

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:58:09 -0500

On 08/22/2011 05:58 AM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 13:10 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On 08/19/2011 03:57 AM, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
>>> How the bad block marker are handled with this remapping ?
>>
>> It has to be migrated prior to first use (this needs to be documented,
>> and ideally a U-Boot command provided do do this), or else special
>> handling would be needed when building the BBT.  The only way around
>> this would be to do ECC in software, and do the buffering needed to let
>> MTD treat it as a 4K chip.
> 
> It really feels like a special hack which would better not go to
> mainline - am I the only one with such feeling? If yes, probably I am
> wrong...

While the implementation is (of necessity) a hack, the feature is
something that multiple people have been asking for (it's not a special
case for a specific user).  They say 2K chips are getting more difficult
to obtain.  It doesn't change anything for people using 512/2K chips,
and (in its current form) doesn't introduce significant complexity to
the driver.  I'm not sure how maintaining it out of tree would be a
better situation for anyone.

-Scott