Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] [44x] Enable CONFIG_RELOCATABLE for PPC44x

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:41:37 -0500

On 10/27/2011 03:43 AM, Suzuki Poulose wrote:
> On 10/27/11 00:46, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On 10/26/2011 02:12 PM, Suzuki Poulose wrote:
>>> I have renamed the new type of relocation to RELOCATABLE_PPC32_PIE. The
>>> patches
>>> were posted yesterday. Please let me know your thoughts.
>>
>> I think it would make more sense to rename the existing behavior (maybe
>> something like DYNAMIC_MEMSTART -- if there's even enough overhead to
>> make it worth being configurable at all), since it's not fully
>> relocatable and since 64-bit already uses RELOCATABLE to mean PIE.
> 
> I think leaving the current behaviour as it is, and adding the PIE as an
> additional configuration option would be safe and wouldn't disturb the
> existing dependencies.

That's how things grow to be an unmaintainable mess.  AFAICT, what
you're doing is the same as what 64-bit does for RELOCATABLE.  If
they're doing the same thing, they should be called the same thing.
Whereas 64-bit and e500 are currently doing different things for
RELOCATABLE -- so they should be called different things.

> ( CRASH_DUMP etc. depend on RELOCATABLE for archs which work fine ).

A simple grep should be able to sort out such dependencies on the name.

-Scott