Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Decode correct MSR bits in oops output

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:32:25 -0600

On 11/28/2011 02:12 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Scott Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 11/28/2011 01:46 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> Could introduce BOOK3E_32 to cover cases like this.
>>
>> Why _32?  These bits apply to 64-bit as well.  MSR_CM is only for 64-bit.
> 
> Because CONFIG_BOOK3E depeonds on PPC_BOOK3E_64.  So either that
> dependency needs to go so it's selectable elsewhere, or a similarly
> intended PPC_BOOK3E_32 needs to get created.  Or something.

I think that dependency should go, in any case.  We already have
PPC_BOOK3E_64 for places that need to depend on that, and we don't want
to end up having this all over the place:

#if defined(CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E_32) || defined(CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E_64)

>> UCLE and PMM are present on pre-2.06 e500 cores as well.
> 
> Sigh.  Maybe there is no way to get un-ugly.

If we drop the 64-bit dependency, we could do this for UCLE if it really
needs to be omitted from a 4xx kernel:

#if defined(CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E) || defined(CONFIG_E500)

PMM is not just a BookE thing, so if 4xx really needs to exclude it,
#ifndef CONFIG_4xx is the way to go.

I wouldn't bother unless 4xx is known to set these bits, though.

For GS and CM CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E is OK, once 32-bit e500mc/e5500 kernels
start selecting it.

-Scott