Subject: Re: warnings from drivers/tty/ehv_bytechan.c

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:25:55 -0600

On 02/24/2012 04:15 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
> [email-masked] wrote:
>>>> That's the simplest approach, for use.  The TTY portion of the driver can
>>>> be used as a module.  Is there any real value in loading a TTY driver as a
>>>> module?
> 
>> Depends on the hardware it supports :)
>>
>>>> In this case, the console support for byte channels would not be
>>>> available.
> 
>> Then it doesn't make sense, right?
> 
> I guess that's my question.  Is there a real use case for having console
> output go to the serial port, and TTY go to a byte channel?

Sure -- you could be using the byte channel for inter-partition
communication, or just not have enough serial ports for all of this
partition's needs.

It looks like the usual pattern is to have a separate kconfig for the
console part, and have that be a bool that depends on the tristate tty
driver being "y".

> Even if you
> wanted to do that, I supposed you don't need to load the byte channel
> driver as a module to get that behavior.

Right, though that could be said about all (most?) modules.

Probably not that important in this particular case, though.  I can see
people wanting to use byte channel but not caring about console, and I
can see people wanting to build a generic kernel that supports byte
channels, but I don't think there's much overlap between the two.

-Scott