Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc/85xx: don't call of_platform_bus_probe() twice

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:41:53 -0600

Timur Tabi wrote:
> Commit 46d026ac ("powerpc/85xx: consolidate of_platform_bus_probe calls")
> replaced platform-specific of_device_id tables with a single function
> that probes the most of the busses in 85xx device trees.  If a specific
> platform needed additional busses probed, then it could call
> of_platform_bus_probe() again.  Typically, the additional platform-specific
> busses are children of existing busses that have already been probed.
> of_platform_bus_probe() does not handle those child busses automatically.
> 
> Unfortunately, this doesn't actually work.  The second (platform-specific)
> call to of_platform_bus_probe() never finds any of the busses it's asked
> to find.
> 
> To remedy this, the platform-specific of_device_id tables are eliminated,
> and their entries are merged into mpc85xx_common_ids[], so that all busses
> are probed at once.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
> ---

Kumar, without this patch, audio is broken on the P1022DS in your 'merge'
branch.  I posted it back in November, six days after you applied the
patch that broke the P1022DS.

Is there any chance of getting this into 3.3?  This is a real bug fix, and
I would hate for audio to be broken in 3.3.

-- 
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale