Subject: Re: [PATCH] Device Tree Bindings for Freescale TDM controller

From: Timur Tabi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:32:14 -0500

Scott Wood wrote:
>> > Scott, are you suggesting that Poonam put a non-zero number in the DTS
>> > for clock-frequency?  If so, then I don't think that's a good idea, if
>> > U-Boot will always override it.

> This is a device tree binding document, not U-Boot specific.  It
> describes what Linux (or another OS) can expect to see, not how it gets
> there.

That doesn't really answer my question.  We currently have many properties
that define a clock frequency, and the DTS sets them all to 0, with the
intent of having U-Boot update them.  Now maybe these should all be
deleted, but it seems that setting them to a non-zero value is wrong,
because it might mislead people into thinking that the property is not
updated by U-Boot.  When you see something like this:

	clock-frequency = <0>;

It's pretty obvious that U-boot will fill it in.

-- 
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale