Subject: kilauea compilation breaks with v3.3 kernel and ELDK 4.2

From: Robert Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:10:59 +0200

Hi,

Up to 3.2.x I was able to compile a mainline kernel for the kilauea
board, but...

http://git.denx.de/?p=linux-denx.git;a=commitdiff;h=075bcf5879225d0c2a119c23d8046b890e051e81

shows, that mfdcrx was introduced in the v3.3 kernel.

The problem is that for ppc-linux-gcc (GCC) 4.2.2 (which comes with the
ELDK 4.2) this assembly instruction is not known and the build breaks.

There are some obvious workarounds, like using a more recent toolchain
(e.g ELDK 5.x) or use make -k to keep on compiling even when there is an
error as much as possible;)

What puzzles me is that also stuff for boards is being compiled which is
not really needed like treeboot-currituck.c even when I configure the
kernel for a kilauea board.

Is this on purpose and if so why?

Please advise.

Regards,

Robert
..."But I have a slowly coagulating theory that the size of a project is
directly proportional to the possibility that significant bugs will crop
up. Exponentiate for each additional programmer involved." - Steven K.
Halliburton

My public pgp key is available at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1