Subject: Re: MPC8xx Platformization

From: Dan Malek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:51:06 -0400

On May 20, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Andrei Konovalov wrote:

> But it still doesn't distinguish between e.g. MPC885, MPC880, MPC875, 
> and MPC870
> - though the set of on-chip devices is different for the four.

I don't believe you can reliably distinguish among many of these parts.
I've had parts stamped with a number on them, but it looks like it had
remnants of other, probably non-working, peripherals from another.
Just poking at some peripheral locations to determine processor
type isn't likely to always be accurate.

I don't think we should be writing any code that relies on the proper
identification of the parts.  When building the code for a real product,
you always configure specifically for it to reduce code size and run 
time
start up.  As a development engineer, you should know the configuration
you are using as well.  The only difference is in the peripherals 
supported,
so just configure what you want to use.

Thanks.

	-- Dan