Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] bootwrapper: convert flatdevtree to version 16

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:56:52 -0500

On Apr 11, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Scott Wood wrote:

> Milton Miller wrote:
>> kexec-tools still produces a version 2 device tree, while the
>> libraries in the wrapper only support version 16 and later.
>> Add a routine to convert a v2 flat device tree to a v16 one inplace
>> by inserting OF_DT_NOP and chomping full path.  Make space for new
>> headers by moving and then chomping the OF_DT_NOPs.
>
> Why not fix kexec-tools to generate a version 17 device tree?
>

Because that would prevent kexec-tools from starting a kernel
between

[PATCH] ppc64: Make early processor spinup based on physical ids
author	olof <olof>
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:59:21 +0000 (23:59 +0000)
commit	e1b47549d1588ccea1fa5726eb430aae4e80f8ed

(linux-bkcvs, 2.6.9 or so) and

[PATCH] flattened device tree changes
author	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:36:34 +0000 (10:36 +0200)
committer	Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:53:31 +0000 (10:53 +1000)
commit	34153fa3af45d84f3221d9b67ba2ab7e8a220d28

(2.6.14)

Admittedly they don't all support kexec from them, but they
can be kexeced into.   ppc64 kexec support was merged
here:

[PATCH] ppc64: kexec support for ppc64
author	R Sharada <[email-masked]>
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:58:10 +0000 (14:58 -0700)
committer	Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:24:51 +0000 (16:24 -0700)
commit	fce0d5740322b98b863f9e609f5a9bd4c06703af

(2.6.13)

That, and I didn't want to make changes to the code that
may be replaced with some other library later.

We could move this from kexec_platform_init to  crt0_kexec.S
platform_init so it becomes platform dependent if you want
to support them.

Are there embedded firmwares that hove old device trees?

milton