Subject: Re: hdparm and disc errors

From: Jiri Masik <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Sep 2001 11:40:45 +0200

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]> writes:

> >Do you think it is a real disc failure or is anything wrong with the
> >hdparm setting? Is the unmasking dangerous for Pismo?
>
> That's weird. Note that there are chances that 2.2 lockup on such IDE errors.
>
> The driver did evolve slightly, but not in a way that explains your problem.
>
> Ben.

Hi Ben,

it does not happen with 2.2 at all. I think there was a change in the
driver before 2.4.8-ben0. This is the first kernel I tried which
actually reports the error. Before that I had 2.4.7-ben0 and
2.4.6-pre8 which were crashing without anything reported. I guess it
was caused by the disc as well as the crash was accompanied by the
sound of repeated access to a faulty floppy disc.

Jiri

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/