Subject: [RFC PATCH v5 00/19] memory-hotplug: hot-remove physical memory

From: Wen Congyang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:20:51 +0800

This patch series aims to support physical memory hot-remove.

The patches can free/remove following things:

  - acpi_memory_info                          : [RFC PATCH 4/19]
  - /sys/firmware/memmap/X/{end, start, type} : [RFC PATCH 8/19]
  - iomem_resource                            : [RFC PATCH 9/19]
  - mem_section and related sysfs files       : [RFC PATCH 10-11, 13-16/19]
  - page table of removed memory              : [RFC PATCH 12/19]
  - node and related sysfs files              : [RFC PATCH 18-19/19]

If you find lack of function for physical memory hot-remove, please let me
know.

change log of v5:
 * merge the patchset to clear page table and the patchset to hot remove
   memory(from ishimatsu) to one big patchset.

 [RFC PATCH v5 1/19]
   * rename remove_memory() to offline_memory()/offline_pages()

 [RFC PATCH v5 2/19]
   * new patch: implement offline_memory(). This function offlines pages,
     update memory block's state, and notify the userspace that the memory
     block's state is changed.

 [RFC PATCH v5 4/19]
   * offline and remove memory in acpi_memory_disable_device() too.

 [RFC PATCH v5 17/19]
   * new patch: add a new function __remove_zone() to revert the things done
     in the function __add_zone().

 [RFC PATCH v5 18/19]
   * flush work befor reseting node device.

change log of v4:
 * remove "memory-hotplug : unify argument of firmware_map_add_early/hotplug"
   from the patch series, since the patch is a bugfix. It is being disccussed
   on other thread. But for testing the patch series, the patch is needed.
   So I added the patch as [PATCH 0/13].

 [RFC PATCH v4 2/13]
   * check memory is online or not at remove_memory()
   * add memory_add_physaddr_to_nid() to acpi_memory_device_remove() for
     getting node id
 
 [RFC PATCH v4 3/13]
   * create new patch : check memory is online or not at online_pages()

 [RFC PATCH v4 4/13]
   * add __ref section to remove_memory()
   * call firmware_map_remove_entry() before remove_sysfs_fw_map_entry()

 [RFC PATCH v4 11/13]
   * rewrite register_page_bootmem_memmap() for removing page used as PT/PMD

change log of v3:
 * rebase to 3.5.0-rc6

 [RFC PATCH v2 2/13]
   * remove extra kobject_put()

   * The patch was commented by Wen. Wen's comment is
     "acpi_memory_device_remove() should ignore a return value of
     remove_memory() since caller does not care the return value".
     But I did not change it since I think caller should care the
     return value. And I am trying to fix it as follow:

     https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/5/624

 [RFC PATCH v2 4/13]
   * remove a firmware_memmap_entry allocated by kzmalloc()

change log of v2:
 [RFC PATCH v2 2/13]
   * check whether memory block is offline or not before calling offline_memory()
   * check whether section is valid or not in is_memblk_offline()
   * call kobject_put() for each memory_block in is_memblk_offline()

 [RFC PATCH v2 3/13]
   * unify the end argument of firmware_map_add_early/hotplug

 [RFC PATCH v2 4/13]
   * add release_firmware_map_entry() for freeing firmware_map_entry

 [RFC PATCH v2 6/13]
  * add release_memory_block() for freeing memory_block

 [RFC PATCH v2 11/13]
  * fix wrong arguments of free_pages()

Wen Congyang (5):
  memory-hotplug: implement offline_memory()
  memory-hotplug: store the node id in acpi_memory_device
  memory-hotplug: export the function acpi_bus_remove()
  memory-hotplug: call acpi_bus_remove() to remove memory device
  memory-hotplug: introduce new function arch_remove_memory()

Yasuaki Ishimatsu (14):
  memory-hotplug: rename remove_memory() to
    offline_memory()/offline_pages()
  memory-hotplug: offline and remove memory when removing the memory
    device
  memory-hotplug: check whether memory is present or not
  memory-hotplug: remove /sys/firmware/memmap/X sysfs
  memory-hotplug: does not release memory region in PAGES_PER_SECTION
    chunks
  memory-hotplug: add memory_block_release
  memory-hotplug: remove_memory calls __remove_pages
  memory-hotplug: check page type in get_page_bootmem
  memory-hotplug: move register_page_bootmem_info_node and
    put_page_bootmem for sparse-vmemmap
  memory-hotplug: implement register_page_bootmem_info_section of
    sparse-vmemmap
  memory-hotplug: free memmap of sparse-vmemmap
  memory_hotplug: clear zone when the memory is removed
  memory-hotplug: add node_device_release
  memory-hotplug: remove sysfs file of node

 arch/ia64/mm/init.c                             |   16 +
 arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c                           |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/hotplug-memory.c |   16 +-
 arch/s390/mm/init.c                             |    8 +
 arch/sh/mm/init.c                               |   15 +
 arch/tile/mm/init.c                             |    8 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/pgtable_types.h            |    1 +
 arch/x86/mm/init_32.c                           |   10 +
 arch/x86/mm/init_64.c                           |  333 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/x86/mm/pageattr.c                          |   47 ++--
 drivers/acpi/acpi_memhotplug.c                  |   51 +++-
 drivers/acpi/scan.c                             |    3 +-
 drivers/base/memory.c                           |   90 ++++++-
 drivers/base/node.c                             |    8 +
 drivers/firmware/memmap.c                       |   78 +++++-
 include/acpi/acpi_bus.h                         |    1 +
 include/linux/firmware-map.h                    |    6 +
 include/linux/memory.h                          |    5 +
 include/linux/memory_hotplug.h                  |   25 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                              |    5 +-
 include/linux/mmzone.h                          |   19 ++
 mm/memory_hotplug.c                             |  337 +++++++++++++++++++++--
 mm/sparse.c                                     |    5 +-
 23 files changed, 1010 insertions(+), 91 deletions(-)