Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] powerpc/mpic: add global timer support

From: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:36:54 -0500

On 08/13/2012 01:18 AM, Wang Dongsheng-B40534 wrote:
>>> +	p = of_get_property(np, "available-ranges", &len);
>>> +	if (p && len % (2 * sizeof(u32)) != 0) {
>>> +		pr_err("%s: malformed fsl,available-ranges property.\n",
>>> +				np->full_name);
>>> +		return -EINVAL;
>>> +	}
>>
>> You need to support fsl,available-ranges since that's in an accepted
>> binding and people could have partitioned setups already using it.
>>
> [Wang Dongsheng] FSL chip or OPEN-PIC specification(Only a group)
> in each group only four timer. This is unified. So i use a generic name.
> I think there is not compatible with existing mpic timer nodes.

We need to be compatible with existing trees, so you'd need to check for
both -- but I think any further discussion of the details is premature
until we decide whether this is worthwhile to begin with (both the
support of non-FSL timers, and the creation of a new device tree binding
which will not be implemented by many of the machines that have non-FSL
openpic because they run real Open Firmware).

-Scott