Subject: Re: [PATCH V7 1/7] kbuild: centralize .dts->.dtb rule

From: Stephen Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:33:39 -0700

On 11/27/2012 04:29 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> All architectures that use cmd_dtc do so in almost the same way. Create
> a central build rule to avoid duplication. The one difference is that
> most current uses of dtc build $(obj)/%.dtb from $(src)/dts/%.dts rather
> than building the .dtb in the same directory as the .dts file. This
> difference will be eliminated arch-by-arch in future patches.
> 
> MIPS is the exception here; it already uses the exact same rule as the
> new common rule, so the duplicate is removed in this patch to avoid any
> conflict. arch/mips changes courtesy of Ralf Baechle.
> 
> Update Documentation/kbuild to remove the explicit call to cmd_dtc from
> the example, now that the rule exists in a centralized location.

Ben, Paul,

Following this patch (http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/27/555), I posted a
series of patches to convert almost all architectures to using the
centralized rule. The one architecture I didn't convert was PowerPC.

I didn't convert it because arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile contains a large
number of rules (to generate *Image.% where % is a board name) that
depend on %.dtb, which is expected to be in arch/powerpc/boot rather
than arch/powerpc/boot/dts. Now, I guess it's possible to convert them
all to expect the .dtb files to be in dts/ and also have
arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile call make in boot/dts/ to make each required
.dtb file. However, the patch would be a bit larger than all the other
architecture patches. Do you want me to do that conversion, or would you
rather I leave PowerPC alone? Thanks for any feedback.