Subject: Re: [Patch v4 00/12] memory-hotplug: hot-remove physical memory

From: Tang Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:37:41 +0800

Hi Andrew,

On 11/28/2012 03:27 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> - acpi framework
>>    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/26/175
>
> What's happening with the acpi framework?  has it received any feedback
> from the ACPI developers?

About ACPI framework, we are trying to do the following.

     The memory device can be removed by 2 ways:
     1. send eject request by SCI
     2. echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/PNP0C80:XX/eject

     In the 1st case, acpi_memory_disable_device() will be called.
     In the 2nd case, acpi_memory_device_remove() will be called.
     acpi_memory_device_remove() will also be called when we unbind the
     memory device from the driver acpi_memhotplug or a driver
     initialization fails.

     acpi_memory_disable_device() has already implemented a code which
     offlines memory and releases acpi_memory_info struct . But
     acpi_memory_device_remove() has not implemented it yet.

     So the patch prepares the framework for hot removing memory and
     adds the framework into acpi_memory_device_remove().

All the ACPI related patches have been put into the linux-next branch
of the linux-pm.git tree as v3.8 material.Please refer to the following
url.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/2/160

So for now, with this patch set, we can do memory hot-remove on x86_64
linux.

I do hope you would merge them before 3.8-rc1, so that we can use this
functionality in 3.8.

As we are still testing all memory hotplug related functionalities, I
hope we can do the bug fix during 3.8 rc.

Thanks. :)