Subject: recommended method of netbooting kernel/dtb in u-boot?

From: Chris Friesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:44:09 -0600

Hi all,

We've got a powerpc system that uses u-boot.  In our environment on 
bootup u-boot does a DHCP to get networking info, then uses TFTP to get 
the kernel, which then does DHCP again and NFS-mounts the initial root 
filesystem.

What's the standard practice for this sort of thing when using device 
tree blobs?  Do most people use multi-file images or do they TFTP 
scripts to load and execute separate kernel/dtb files?

For multi-part images is there an in-kernel way of generating a file 
containing a kernel and dtb combined?  I saw a patch proposed in 2008 to 
add a uImage.<dt> build target but it was shot down because it used the 
legacy multi-file format.  Is there an equivalent build target that uses 
the FIT format?

Chris

-- 

Chris Friesen
Software Designer

500 Palladium Drive, Suite 2100
Ottawa, Ontario K2N 1C2, Canada
www.genband.com
office:+1.343.883.2717
[email-masked]