Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 06/12] ARM: dove: add gigabit ethernet and mvmdio device tree nodes

From: Sebastian Hesselbarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 20:51:26 +0200

On 05/22/2013 08:24 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 07:32:51PM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
>> Not neccessary anyway, after talking Jason C in a Kirkwood-only
>> workaround I prepared a patch that reads mac address registers early
>> and stores it in the local-mac-address property.
>
> That sounds great, but, FWIW, our bootloaders don't set the MAC
> address registers. Does the work around only trigger if the
> local-mac-address property is 0?

I already thought about bootloaders not setting the register, but I will
not start parsing 1001 places for a valid MAC only for those. Also
reading the MAC address registers is default behavior of mv643xx_eth if
no MAC address is passed through platform_data.

But you are right, there is plenty of sanity checks in the workaround to
ensure that local-mac-address is only overwritten by it when
- you are on DT
- there is no valid MAC address in that node (of_get_mac_address)
- there is a local-mac-address property with a length of 6 bytes

So this workaround only applies on DT booted kernels with no mac set in
DT.

Sebastian