Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/8] KVM: PPC: Add support for multiple-TCE hcalls

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:56:17 +1000

On 07/11/2013 10:51 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
> 
> On 11.07.2013, at 14:39, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> 
>> On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 13:15 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>> And that's bad. Jeez, seriously. Don't argue this case. We enable new
>>> features individually unless we're 100% sure we can keep everything
>>> working. In this case an ENABLE_CAP doesn't hurt at all, because user
>>> space still needs to handle the hypercalls if it wants them anyways.
>>> But you get debugging for free for example.
>>
>> An ENABLE_CAP is utterly pointless. More bloat. But you seem to like
>> it :-)
> 

> I don't like bloat usually. But Alexey even had an #ifdef DEBUG in there
> to selectively disable in-kernel handling of multi-TCE. Not calling
> ENABLE_CAP would give him exactly that without ugly #ifdefs in the
> kernel.

No, it would not give m anithing. My ugly debug was to disable realmode
only and still leave virtual mode on, not to disable both real and virtual
modes. It is a lot easier to disable in kernel handling in QEMU.

-- 
Alexey