Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/7] net: use platform_{get,set}_drvdata()

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 03:04:44 +0400

On 08/16/2013 02:51 AM, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

>>> From: Libo Chen <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:01:17 +0800

>>>> Use the wrapper functions for getting and setting the driver data using
>>>> platform_device instead of using dev_{get,set}_drvdata() with &pdev->dev,
>>>> so we can directly pass a struct platform_device.

>>>> changelog v3:
>>>>     remove modify about dev_set_drvdata()
>>>> changelog v2:
>>>>     this version add modify record about dev_set_drvdata().

>>> Series applied.

>> Actually, I had to revert, these patches break the build.

>> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c: In function ‘happy_meal_pci_probe’:
>> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3114:2: error: implicit declaration of
>> function ‘platform_set_drvdata’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c: In function ‘happy_meal_pci_remove’:
>> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3162:9: error: implicit declaration of
>> function ‘platform_get_drvdata’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3162:26: warning: initialization makes
>> pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]

>     Hm, patch #5 was clearly defective as it tried to call
> platform_{get|set}_drvdata() on PCI devices -- I've read the patch but
> overlooked that. And the driver lacks #include <linux/platform_device.h>, so
> I'm not sure it always compiled flawlessly.

    Ah, the platform code is protected by #ifdef CONFIG_SBUS... probably some 
header #include's <linux/platform_device.h>?

WBR, Sergei