Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [PATCH v4 1/2] ASoC: fsl: Add S/PDIF CPU DAI driver

From: Stephen Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:49:49 -0600

On 08/15/2013 03:24 AM, Shawn Guo wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:18:23AM +0800, Nicolin Chen wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 09:47:19AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>>> If the clock source name list is different, then it needs a different
>>> compatible value, so that each compatible value can specify which clock
>>> names are required.
>>>
>>> Also, the compatible value itself should always include the exact HW
>>> that's present (most specific HW version), as well as any other HW it's
>>> compatible with.
>>  
>> Thank you for the comments. Yes, I did so in v1-v3, but after rethinking
>> about the situation (Actually both the HW version and the clock mux itself
>> are same, just the clock sources connecting to the mux might be different),
>> so I decided to do this by abstracting the driver from those source info
>> and letting DT binding to pass such information. Because I think putting 
>> the clock sources into the driver differed by compatible value would make
>> the driver more like SoC-specified, not the ideal way -- SoC-independent,
>> since the clock sources are based on SoC design, not on itself.
> 
> +1
> 
> It's pretty much the differences at SoC integration level not the IP
> itself, and it just happens to be handled in a register of the IP.

OK, if the difference are the sources of the clocks and not the set of
clocks, then there's no issue. I can't remember what triggered my
comments above, but obviously it wasn't clear that this was the case.