Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] minor fixes for 2.6.26

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 04:22:40 +0200

>>> Arguably this suggests we should rename either the lds files or the
>>> zImages so that we *can* get a pattern to match.
>>
>> Not really.  Just define a $(ALL_ZIMAGES) var and use that everywhere.
>> I would be pretty upset if "make clean" decided to delete my
>> zImage.backup,
>> etc.
>
> That won't work for .gitignore.

Sure, * is fine in .gitignore (and then un-ignore the few files you
don't want ignored).  .gitignore is just a convenience thing, after
all.

> Besides it's hard to generate, since
> zImage.<allsortsofthings> can be generated based on dts names.

Tricky.  But if make can generate the name _at all_ (and it can),
it can do it here, too.  It just needs some fairy dust sprinkling.

> Oh, and variables like that are usually a bad idea for clean rules,
> because if new things have just been added/removed from the list, it
> will fail to clean up things built before the makefile change was
> made.

Yes.  OTOH, using xx* in "make clean" is an even worse idea.

Segher