Subject: Re: SPI bus master driver for the Freescale MPC52xx

From: Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:33:32 -0600

Hi.

First off, I've included the linuxppc-embedded mailing list in my
reply.  It's better to mail the list and CC: me rather than just
mailing me.  There are many others far brighter than me on the list
who can provide far more help.

On 9/22/05, Frank Bennett <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  Gary:
My name is Grant

>
>  I saw your patch on http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc
>  I'm developing a SPI driver for the Lite5200.
Are you using a PSC or the SPI peripheral?  The driver I've written is for =
a PSC
>
>  What distribution of Linux is this for?
Any distro you want.  It should apply cleanly against any recent 2.6.x kern=
el

>  What is this patch registry all about?
Are you refering to the bit about device drivers registering to the
SPI subsystem?  If so, the first patch provides the generic SPI
infrastructure.  Device drivers for SPI masters and SPI slaves
register to the SPI subsystem.  That way SPI master device drivers are
decoupled from SPI slave device drivers.  It follows the new device
model in the 2.6.x kernels.  (See "Linux Device Drivers" book from
O'reilly for details.

>  Can I get a snapshot of the mpc52xx driver stuff?
I've made no changes since posting the patch.

Eventually I'll have a public git tree with all my changes posted in
it; but not yet.

>  How can I contribute to this effort?
Write code, write documentation and post patches.  Also, look in the
LKML archives.  There are two other competing SPI implementations that
are being developed.  I've been pulled off onto other work so I've not
done any additional work.  The other code looks more promising.

That being said, my code works for me so it may be usable for you as-is.

cheers,
g.