Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] power7, perf: Make some new raw event codes available in sysfs

From: Anshuman Khandual <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:00:04 +0530

On 12/13/2013 08:20 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 11:22 +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
>> This patch adds some more raw event codes into the existing list
>> of event codes present in power7-events-list.h file. This tries
>> to complete the list of events supported in Power7 and matches
>> the raw event list with libpfm4 library.
> 
> It's a bit annoying, but you also need to update the "ABI" document:

What is annoying ? you need to be specific.

> 
>   Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-event_source-devices-events
> 

The events listed under the following heading are events required to do
CPI analysis.

"Description:    POWER-systems specific performance monitoring event"

		/sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_1PLUS_PPC_CMPL
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_BRU_FIN
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_BR_MPRED
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_BRU
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_DCACHE_MISS
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_DFU
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_DIV
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_ERAT_MISS
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_FXU
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_IFU
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_LSU
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_REJECT
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_SCALAR
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_SCALAR_LONG
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_STORE
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_THRD
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_VECTOR
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CMPLU_STALL_VECTOR_LONG
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_CYC
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_GCT_NOSLOT_BR_MPRED
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_GCT_NOSLOT_BR_MPRED_IC_MISS
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_GCT_NOSLOT_CYC
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_GCT_NOSLOT_IC_MISS
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_GRP_CMPL
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_INST_CMPL
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_LD_MISS_L1
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_LD_REF_L1
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_RUN_CYC
                /sys/devices/cpu/events/PM_RUN_INST_CMPL

But I am not sure the events the current patch in context adds

+EVENT(PM_1THRD_CON_RUN_INSTR,                 0x30062)
+EVENT(PM_CMPLU_STALL_COUNT,                   0x4000B)
+EVENT(PM_MEM0_PB_RD_CL,                       0x30083)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_1_RUN_CYC,                      0x10060)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_2_CONC_RUN_INSTR,               0x40062)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_2_RUN_CYC,                      0x20060)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_3_CONC_RUN_INST,                0x10062)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_3_RUN_CYC,                      0x30060)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_4_CONC_RUN_INST,                0x20062)
+EVENT(PM_THRD_4_RUN_CYC,                      0x40060)

will be helpful in CPI stack analysis and should be part of the ABI
documentation file. If it does, I will be glad to add them.