Subject: Re: Ebony crash fix & 440GP cleanup step one

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2002 16:00:47 -0700

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

    Matt> Looks great, pushed.  There's still more work to do in the
    Matt> includes but it's a good start.  I'm moving the PCIX
    Matt> initialization to a common library, so don't overlap there
    Matt> if you wander out of moving headers around.

Cool.  I'm starting to think about the best way to organize the code
in ebony.c.  It seems like maybe ebony.c should become ppc440_setup.c
with the Ebony-specific stuff inside #ifdef CONFIG_EBONY (and if we do
that, maybe ppc4xx_setup.c should be split into ppc40x_setup.c and
really generic stuff in ppc4xx_setup.c).  Another option would be to
keep ebony.c but move most of the code into library functions in a new
ppc440_setup.c file.

My motivation is that I'm going to have a few 440GP-based boards to
deal with soon, and I'd like to minimize the amount of code that has
to be copied or duplicated to support a new board.  I'd like to do
this in a way that fits in well with the kernel so it's easy for me to
keep our kernel tree in sync with the main tree.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Roland

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/